Be Holiday Safe and Prepared
November and December families are brought together to celebrate the holiday season by preparing a delicious feast, but if you don’t practice safe cooking habits, your holidays could become hazardous very quickly. According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home injuries. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. It’s important to be alert to prevent cooking fires.
- Be on alert! If you are sleepy or have consumed alcohol don’t use the stove or stovetop.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly. Remain in the kitchen while food is cooking and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch on fire—oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, or curtains—away from the stovetop.
If you have a cooking fire, consider the following safety protocols to help keep you and your family safe.
- Just get out! When you leave close the door behind you to help contain the fire.
- Call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number after you leave.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- If you try to fight the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stove top. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland is available 24/7 and alwalys here to help. We wish you and your family a safe and happy holiday season.
Call SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland - 530-756-1414
In 2014, fires caused 2745 deaths, 11,825 injuries, and $6.8 Billion in property damage.
Three out of five home fire deaths are caused by fires in homes with no smoke alarms or not working alarms.
Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in reported home fires in half.
In fires considered large enough to activate the smoke alarm, hardwired alarms operated 94 percent of the time, while battery powered alarms operated 80 percent of the time.
When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are missing, disconnected, or dead.
One quarter of home fire deaths are caused by fires that start in the bedroom. Another quarter result from fires in the living room, family room or den.
One-third of survey respondents who made an estimate thought they would have at least 6 minutes before a fire in their home would become life-threatening. The time available is often much less. Only 8 percent said their first thought on hearing a smoke alarm would be to get out.
Facts provided by National Fire Protection Association, nfpa.org
WHAT TO DO UNTIL HELP ARRIVES
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas
- If electricity is off, empty freezer/refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome kitchen/bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, toilet bowls, holding tanks and tubs to avoid freezing pipes and fixtures.
- Change HVAC filters; leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to stop particles of soot from getting in or out of the HVAC system.
- Don’t attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland.
- Don’t attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting us first.
- Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire, heat, or water without first consulting an authorized repair service.
- Do not consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water, as they may be contaminated.
- If ceiling is wet, do not turn on ceiling fans. Wiring may be wet or damaged and cause electrical shock, and air movement may create secondary damage.
- Don’t send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set in smoke odor.
Call us today with your fire cleanup questions - 530-756-1414
Carbon Monoxide Safety Check
Check your carbon monoxide every year!
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but, at high levels, it can kill a person in minutes. Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide, or CO, is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane) burn incompletely.
According to the Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) each year, more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning. It is estimated another 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. All people and animals are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups— including unborn babies, infants, and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems— being more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.
An excess of CO, leading to CO poisoning, can result from faulty furnaces or other heating appliances, portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers, or idling cars left running in garages.
Taking some basic, precautionary steps can help eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Protect yourself by reviewing the following tips, provided by the United States Fire Administration:
- Have fuel burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces, gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional every year.
- Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
- Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
- If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice, or other materials.
- Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
- Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or the garage, even if the doors are open.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the home.
Common Types of Leaks in Yolo County Water Damaged Homes
A leaking kitchen sink can cause serioius damage to cabinets, walls, and floors.
SERVPRO Technicians Deal with All Types of Water Leaks in Davis, Woodland, and Yolo County
Leaks are one of the most expensive types of damage that can happen to a home, but also one of the least detected. It often takes months or even years for leaks to cause visual damage, but by that point, it's too late to take preventative measures. Leaks can weaken structures, waste water, dissolve building materials, create dangerous compounds and foster mold growth. These are some of the most common leaks we encounter on typical residential calls and how they start.
Pipe leaks, in cabinets, behind walls, or anywhere else, are one of the most common sources of water damage in Yolo County. Pipes are often deliberately placed out of view of occupants, so when one develops a leak, it can be a very long time before anyone notices. These leaks often occur close to normally dry wood and fabric and once these are consistently soaked by leaking water, they can lose structural integrity or even develop patches of mold growth. In extreme cases, residents sometimes only learn of these leaks when part of their ceiling crashes down into the living room.
Sink, Shower, and Tub Leaks
These leaks are often much more violent and much more noticeable than a pipe leak because they are usually caused by a resident in some way. As such, they have less potential for long-term water damage, but can be a big problem and cause a bigger mess.
Water Tanks and Heaters
When water heaters or tanks leak, the damage is fortunately usually contained mostly to the container itself rather than immediate surroundings. However, large volumes of water are contained in them regardless and if the entire contents leak out in an area they may cause severe damage to surrounding objects and materials.
Basement, Crawl Space, and Attic Concerns
Particular sections of your home, such as basements, crawl spaces and attics are more prone to water damage. Crawl spaces are what builders add under homes to let them put in electrical wires and pipe. A damp, dark crawl space lets mold flourish, causing damage to the structure. Moisture that drips through the concrete foundation of your home will cause leaks in the basement. Leakage of air into the section between the home and the attic can make moisture on the under part of your roof, leading to rotting and mold. Periodically check your home for any of these problems.
Household Appliances that are Malfunctioning
As they get older, the pipes of household appliances can crack and rust, and their hoses weaken. Washing machines, refrigerators and dishwashers are all susceptible to this deterioration, so keep an eye on your machines when they are older. The main two appliances which cause water damage the most often in homes are hot water tanks and washing machines.
We are the company that can coordinate the entire process from start to finish including the rebuild phase to make your life easier, and gets you back in your home or business faster, “Like it never even happened.”
Call SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland in Yolo County today at 530-756-1414
Mold Damage Can Affect Your Davis or Home in Hidden Areas
Remediation in an excellent way to protect your home and family from increased mold damage.
There are several different areas in your home that are inaccessible to you and others without dismantling part of your home's structure. Being inaccessible to you, a lack of strong air currents and no sunlight work together to make these great places for mold to grow. These concealed places can become infested very quickly once mold has started to grow within them.
Since microscopic mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors, removing all mold from a home or business is impossible. Many restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold. This is a fallacy. We understand mold and mold growth. SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland has the training and expertise to remediate the mold in your home or business.
When your home in Yolo County has mold in one of these hidden places, you might still get a whiff of mold's distinctive smell occasionally. Some molds never produce a scent at all, so a lack of one does not necessarily mean your home does not have a mold problem. As much as you search your home for signs of mold, if it has grown inside one of these areas, you may never find it.
SERVPRO technicians can help locate mold in hidden and inaccessible areas in your home. Trained according to IICRC standards, we are also experienced with the equipment needed to track down higher-than-normal levels of moisture in your home. Common areas where mold can hide are under vanities, toilets, tubs, shower stalls, inside walls, behind or below plumbing lines, and in the floor near exterior doors and windows.
Using hygrometers to detect increased levels of moisture and humidity in the air, we can locate areas that are more prone to allow mold to grow. Moisture meters can show us exactly which hard surfaces in those areas contain elevated amounts of moisture. Borescopes are used to view the interiors of spaces which could not be seen otherwise.
While mold in these hidden locations may seem out of the way and only a nuisance, mold can travel to other sites in your home when new mold spores are released into the air. Mold remediation is an excellent way to protect your home from increased mold damage. Having excess mold removed from hidden locations can also protect your family from the many possible health effects mold might cause.
We are the company that can coordinate the entire process from start to finish to make your life easier, and gets you back in your home or business faster, “Like it never even happened.”
If you have questions about mold or to find hidden mold and protect your family and home Call SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland today at 530-756-1414
The Right Way to Deal with Mold Damage
Trust the professionals at SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland to take care of your mold remediation needs.
In Davis and Woodland, mold damage is a common problem. It affects all kinds of homes and businesses. It is not something to be scared of because it happens to almost everybody, at some time in their lives. However, it does need to be treated with caution. Mold damage, though common, can be both expensive and can cause health effects.
This is why the only effective solution for dealing with chronic mold damage is to call in the experts. Qualified mold damage restoration teams have the necessary skills and expertise to make sure that all of the damaged areas of a property are safely removed. If you do not seek professional advice, you risk the problem becoming a recurring one.
This guide to the importance of professional mold damage restoration will help you get to grips with the best possible solution.
Fix the Source of the Issue
While homeowners can go some way to removing the superficial signs of mold damage in Yolo County, (the visible marks and blemishes), it is much more difficult to pinpoint the cause. And this is vital if the problem is to be eradicated for good. Mold damage restoration experts are trained to look for patterns and uncover the source of the destruction. More often than not, the mold is being caused by an unidentified leak within the building.
Recognize the Type of Mold
It is a common misunderstanding to assume that all mold is the same. In fact, there are more than 10,000 different varieties. As they all require a slightly different approach, identification is key to tackling mold damage in Yolo County. Nobody expects you to be able to distinguish between the characteristics of a thousand mold samples, so take the job to somebody who is specially trained for it.
Use the Right Equipment
Another important benefit of using a professional mold damage restoration service is access to specialist equipment. You might have a basic dehumidifier in your home or workplace, but this won’t be strong enough to tackle a serious problem. You need heavy duty dryers, blowers, and EPA approved chemicals. If there is evidence of black mold in the building – which causes negative health effects – protective clothing is needed to ensure safety.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
To find out more about the most effective ways to tackle mold damage, call the experts at SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland (530) 756-1414 today.
Mold Remediation in Davis/Woodland and Yolo County: A Brief Overview
Mold can continue to grow and thrive in commercial and residential buildings for several reasons.
When you find yourself experiencing a mold infestation, the most effective and appropriate solution is to attain professional mold remediation services. As many remediation experts know, leaving your mold issue unaddressed may cause health effects while also compromising the structural integrity of your property. To learn more about mold and why attaining mold remediation services is so important, consider the following overview:
What Causes Mold?
Mold can begin to grow and thrive on a residential or commercial property for several reasons. For example, natural disasters like fires and flood almost always result in substantive water damage. Because mold grows in moist, water-rich environments, properties impacted by natural disasters are almost always an excellent breeding ground for the unwanted fungus. Pipe leaks also result in the type of water damage that can become the perfect environment for unwanted mold. When mold infestations become so profound that normal removal procedures are ineffective, a specialized modality referred to as mold remediation is required.
What Is Mold Remediation?
Although defined broadly, mold remediation is the process of eliminating mold that measures over 10 square feet. Unlike traditional mold removal methods, mold remediation must be implemented by a professional team of experts who possess the specialized tools and techniques to expedite and optimize the elimination process.
The Mold Remediation Process
When you call SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland, we will use precautionary containment procedures in conjunction with industrial chemicals to prevent contamination and further spread of mold spores. The only individuals who should ever complete the mold remediation process are industry professionals who utilize the right equipment, including the ideal breathing apparatus.
Prior to cleaning up the mold spores, your property will be contained through the use of plastic sheeting. The sheeting possesses the level of thickness necessary to preclude any microscopic spores from escaping and invading other areas. The remediation specialists will then use specialized equipment to complete the cleanup and repair processes. Some of the specialized equipment utilized will include an HEPA filtered vacuum, industrial strength cleanser, and a wet vacuum. In the event that you are experiencing plumbing issues or roof leaks that generate mold, you may need to call another specialist. After completing the mold remediation process, your professional remediation specialist at SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland will work with you to determine whether any of your furniture and books are salvageable or will require replacement.
If you find your residential or commercial property subjected to mold infestation, it's time to call a team of excellent, efficient remediation specialists. To attain the optimized, expedited remediation care that you deserve, trust the professionals of SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland. For many years, we've helped people eliminate unwanted mold and restore their property to its original, pristine state.
Call us immediately at 530-756-1414 so that we can do the same for you!
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
We are proud to be an active member of this community. SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland is locally owned and operated, so we’re already nearby and ready to help residents and business owners with any size cleaning or restoration emergencies. We are here in Davis/Woodland and Yolo County and ready to help you - Call us at (530) 756-1414
Yolo County 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
Water Damage in Bathroom
SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - (530)756-1414
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland
SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Faster to your Davis/Woodland Water Damage Event
Water Damage to Wood Paneling
Flooding and water emergencies don't wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - including all holidays.
Faster to Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture and more. SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. The immediate response helps to minimize the damage, the cleaning, and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 - (530)756-1414
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods swell and warp.
- Drywall begins to swell and breakdown.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may begin to grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrude.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramtically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland
SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with knowledge to restore your property.
Davis Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Davis or Woodland Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 530-756-1414