If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (530) 756-1414

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How to Prevent Mold Damage After a Flood in your Davis/Woodland Home

3/20/2018 (Permalink)

Storm Damage How to Prevent Mold Damage After a Flood in your Davis/Woodland Home Call SERVPRO of Davis/Woodland as soon as your home has a flood to prevent mold growth.

A flood in your Davis/Woodland home can be quite a serious issue. In addition to the water ruining your belongings, carpet and other structures, if left too long, it can also cause bacteria and mold growth.

Follow these helpful tips from SERVPRO Davis/Woodland to take care of mold and prevent avoidable damage after a flood.

Take Safety Precautions

After you discover water in your home due to a flood, unplug all electronics and remove all furniture and other movable items right away. Remember the following:

  • Televisions
  • Gaming consoles
  • Smartphones and tablets
  • Lamps
  • Medical equipment
  • Other electronics

Disconnect all plug-ins. and appliances to prevent electric shock during the cleanup process. The faster you are able to complete this process, the more likely you are to save many of your more expensive belongings. Make sure to pull up your carpet and padding underneath. There is a good chance you may be able to save the carpet if it’s cleaned quickly enough, although, you may find the carpet will shrink.

Remove the Water

There are several ways to remove the water. Without power, you'll need to use buckets, mops and old towels to remove as much of it as you can. If the sewers aren't backed up, simply pour the water down the drain. If the sewer is not working,  pour onto the lawn. If you have power, use a wet/dry vacuum to soak up as much of the water, as possible, but be sure to plug the vacuum in as far away from any flood damage as to prevent shock. Avoid  using extension cords, which can short and cause a shock as well. If the flood waters are too high, you may consider renting a sump pump. Remove the standing water as quickly as possible to prevent mold growth.

The Final Steps

When excess water has been removed, open windows and use fans along with a dehumidifier to dry the rooms. Ensure the drywall is still safe to avoid crumbling, and disinfect the area to remove bacteria that may have entered your home through the sewer lines. Don't forget about walls and non-upholstered furniture. Finally, using a mold control product throughout your home, letting it dry overnight to ensure you remove any trace of a problem. This takes care of any mold starting to grow and prevents new mold growth.

For more information, visit our website at: www.SERVPROdaviswoodland.com or call us today at: 530-756-1414

Other News

View Recent Posts